The deadline for registering relay teams is 11:59pm
PDT August 10 in order to ensure we have maps printed
for everyone. We look forward to you enjoying this unique event we have
planned for you. Register a relay team using the online
If you're looking for people to add to your team you can use the
relay team match-up list, or you can add your
name to the list so that teams looking for members can contact you.
Go to the relay team registration form.
Read about the relay terrain.
- First and foremost, relays are exciting and fun.
- At the club level, having important relay events helps to build stronger clubs by having common training and competition goals. Relays provide the camaraderie of a team event in a mostly individual sport.
- At the national team level, relays are important to Canada and the USA, as it is a good opportunity for a top-16 finish at the World Orienteering Championships (WOC).
- The new WOC format is an alternating-year forest and urban format, with corresponding forest and urban (sprint) relays. As such, incorporating either a sprint or a forest relay into the North American regional championships is important to build athletes’ experience and capacity with both relay formats.
NAOC 2018 Relay Format
- Classic 3-person forest relay.
- National team relay
- Senior Men’s & Women’s relays, counting toward the BK Cup.
- Junior Men’s & Women’s relays, counting toward the Future Champions Cup.
- Club relay
- Participation is open to everyone.
- To be eligible to win the club championship, all team members must be from the same North American club.
- National team relay to mass start approximately 10 minutes earlier than the club relay mass start.
- Recommended Winning Times (RWT) are such that the club relay will substantively finish before national team relay finishes.
- Grey Mountain Biathlon Range
- Arena at Yukon Biathlon facility.
- Map scale: 1:10,000 and 1:7,500
National Team Relay
- For North America teams only
- Teams entered by National Federations
- Up to 2 teams per country in each of the four relay categories.
- 3-person relay teams as per IOF rules.
- Scoring for BK and Future Champions cup will be described elsewhere.
- 3-person relay teams.
- Categories based on a points system (see below).
- The team has the option to 'move up' to a more difficult category, i.e. a category with fewer points than your team has. Note that a more difficult category will have more difficult courses!
- Some form of forking may be included.
- Everyone can participate
- To be eligible for the club championship, all team members must be from the same North American club
- Non-eligible teams are welcome, and will be recognized in the awards ceremony if they win their category.
Club Championship Relay Points System
Note that in the relay team registration form below the points are calculated automatically based on the age and gender of each runner.
|70 & over
Relay Course & Category Structure
|National Team Senior Men
|National Team Senior Women
|National Team Junior Men
|National Junior Women
The relay is not suitable for children 14 years
old and under. Two individual courses will be open for those not
participating in the relays. To run these courses, sign-up and pay for
the relay with your individual registration.
- Beginner and Novice level orienteering courses, with lots of fun surprises that will make you want to run the courses again!
- 1:7,500 scale map.
- SI-timed, but self-start after the relay mass starts.
- Complete one or both of the courses, as many times as you’d like. Go alone or in pairs.
Sign-up and pay for the relay with your
individual registration. Once signed up for the relay, individuals can
be assigned to teams as follows:
- National team relay: Teams to be submitted in writing by the national federation representative 24 hours prior to the race.
- Club relay: Online registration of teams is available below.
For anyone running the youth courses: just check in at the start on the day of the relay.
We've made it easy for everyone who has registered for the relay to
join a team, so even if you haven't got a team lined up don't be
afraid to register for the relay!
You can view teams looking for additional team members at the relay team match-up list, or add your
name to the list here so that teams
looking for members can contact you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I see all the relay teams?
Click here to see all the relay teams registered so far.
How do I make changes to a team I've already registered?
After you register a team, you'll get a confirmation email. In this
email will be a link which you can use to make changes to the team or
delete the team.
How do I find a relay team to join?
You can contact teams looking for additional members at the relay team match-up list. You may also
add your name to the list here. Teams
looking for additional members will be able to contact you using this
I have a team, but I need one or two more team members. How do I find people to join the team?
You can contact individuals looking to join a team at the relay team match-up list. You may also
add your team to the list here. Inidividuals
looking to join a team will be able to contact you using this list.